Rental Results Property Management Consultancy.
You know the expression ‘death by a thousand papercuts’? Residential rental property management can be like that. There are a thousand communications with people, a thousand financial transactions, a thousand opportunities to make an impression. If it’s a bad impression, there are a thousand complaints, time wasted, and despair at your hard work going unappreciated. If it is a good impression, there is a thousand compliments, thousands of dollars coming your way, and positive ongoing relationships.
If you’d like to run a better property management company with more of the good stuff and much less of the bad, I may be able to help.
My colleagues and I sometimes joked “property management would be easy, if it weren’t for the people” knowing that without people, there wouldn’t be any properties to manage. So, we’d make our black humoured jokes then get on with doing the best job we could.
We did all right. In fact, we did better than all right. We can show you how to do the same. We specialise in helping property management companies, but we can also help if you are a landlord struggling to manage your own rentals.
You may need my help if:
- You are tired of the hours you work, and wish you could have time off, even if it’s just a weekend!
- You feel you are not given enough recognition for what you do
- You struggle to get through your daily/weekly/fortnightly to-do list
- Reporting back to clients (e.g. inspections) takes too long, and happens well after the event
- You have to deal with complaints and people yelling at you more than you would like
- Common complaints are ‘we can never get hold of you’ or ‘what is happening with my property?’ or ‘when is that maintenance getting done?’
- You are attending Tribunal more than once in a blue moon
- You don’t really know who your tenants or landlords are as real people
- You struggle to get tradies on the job, you feel you need to chase them, and they do a poor job of it when it’s finally done
- Clients don’t want to spend much money on their properties, which makes it hard for you to get good tenants
- You are paying for things and not having time/capacity to on-charge them to clients
- Overheads and staff costs are eating into your meagre budget
- You are struggling to keep up with changes in legislation, let alone communicate these to your clients
- You think you need more staff, but you don’t have time to hire
- You feel bad putting up rents, and/or you are not sure where they should be at, or don’t have time to do rent reviews
- You have a proportion of clients and tenants you’d rather not hear from, ever.
If you have said ‘yes, that’s me’ to one of more of these, I can help you.
What I do for you:
I can help you identify the bottlenecks in your business, where things slow you down, or are inconsistent and don’t add positively to your brand. And not just point them out, but suggest ways you may want to alter your practice to overcome them that will work for you. I’m particularly keen on ways to streamline finding new tenants that also lowers your risk of getting bad tenants.
I can show you how to build trust with your clients, including how keep people happy even when things go horribly wrong.
I can make you more profitable. I believe that if my clients are making more money, so am I – this was a mantra from managing properties for my clients, but it also applies to my coaching clients. I look to ways you can make more money from your portfolio without costing you clients, because they will be making more because of you too. This starts with analysing your current performance, and projecting what changes will bring you (and them).
I can show you ways of dealing with difficult clients that win them over, or gently end the relationship in a way you are happy with, and engenders respect.
I can help you manage bad tenants to minimise poor outcomes, and avoid getting more just like them.
I can help you talk your clients into spending money on improvements to their properties, not just on the minimum that needs to be done, and make this a habit for them.
I can help you set up your rules for what kind of clients and properties you take by identifying how these impact you and your business going forward. This simple exercise turns customer service from a chore to a delight.
I can help you cut back your hours of availability without compromising your service. In fact, feeling better because you will have had time off will enable you to do your job better when you are ‘on’. It can help with your personal relationships too, because they will get to see you more, and have more of your attention when you are with them.
I can offer templates for form letters that really work and add to your customer satisfaction. After an earthquake in Wellington our letter asking tenants to report back on damages was a huge asset to our company and resulted in more tenant lease renewals than ever before. Did you know that asking tenants to do your job could build stronger relationships? I can show you how this and every other letter you send can do this.
I can help you plan your exit from the business when the time is right for you. I want to assist you to get the most capital return from your business when you sell, rather than let your client base dwindle. Your rent roll is a valuable asset.
And I hope to help you find the joy in your business. We loved providing great customer service, and many of our clients became firm friends in the process. I can share with you a few things we made habits that made big differences.